The filing fees for the Register of Deeds’ offices in the State of Nebraska are as follows:
- 1st Page of Document = $10.00
- 2nd Page and Subsequent of Document = $6.00
The above fees pertain to ALL documents filed in the Register of Deeds’ office with the
exception of the following:
- UCC Financing Statements, Amendments and Continuations – $14
regardless of the number of pages (as of 7/1/21)
- Federal & State Tax Lien Termination – No Fee
- UCC Termination – No Fee
- Relinquishment – No Fee
DOCUMENTARY STAMP TAXES
Documentary Stamp Tax = $2.25 per thousand dollars of
consideration or market value
- The NE Dept. of Revenue Property Division provides the
latest version of Form 521. You may access the Form 521 at
revenue.nebraska.gov/PAD under “Quick Links.” Click on
- Register of Deeds WILL NOT accept a deed for recording unless items 1 through 25 are
properly completed and a Real Estate Transfer Statement, Form 521 is signed. Please follow the “Instructions” for completing the Form 521.
list of exemptions is available from the Register of Deeds or at
“Quick Links.” Click on “Documentary Stamp Tax”, then click on “Documentary Stamp Tax Exemptions.”
- All Death Certificates now require a completed Real Estate Transfer Statement (Form
- Easements do not require a completed Real Estate Transfer Statement (Form 521).
- All leases require a completed Real Estate Transfer
Statement (Form 521).
SPACE REQUIREMENTS (Effective 8/27/11)(Section 23-1503.01)(LB 254):
- Shall contain a Blank Space at the top of the First Page which is at least 3 inches
X 8 ½ inches. IF THE FIRST PAGE OF THE DOCUMENT PRESENTED FOR RECORDING DOES NOT HAVE THE REQUIRED BLANK SPACE, WE WILL ADD A COVER PAGE
AT THE COST OF AN ADDITIONAL PAGE.
- “No attachment” or affirmation shall be used in any way to cover any information or
printed material on the instrument. (ex. Nothing may be taped or attached to an instrument)
- Every Instrument presented for recording shall have on the first page BELOW the 3
inch margin a return address and the Title of Document. If this space is not provided, a cover sheet will be added and an additional $6.00
will be charged.
- 1” on both vertical sides and 1” on the bottom. This applies throughout the
- At least 8 ½” x 11” and no larger than 8 ½ ” x 14”
- Shall be printed, typewritten or computer generated in BLACK ink
- Must be WHITE paper, of not less than 20lb weight
- Must be legible
- All signatures on an instrument shall be in black or dark blue ink
- Names of each party shall be typed, printed or stamped beneath the original
- Stamps shall not cover or interfere with any part of the instrument
- Font size shall be at least 8 point
Exceptions to the rule:
- Instruments signed before August 27, 2011
- Instruments executed outside of the United States
- Certified copies from governmental agencies (ex. death certificates)
- Instruments signed by an incapacitated or deceased person at the time of recording
- Instruments formatted to meet court requirements
- State & Federal Tax Liens
- UCC Instruments
- Plats, Surveys, etc.
PHOTOCOPIES AND FAXES
- In-Office photocopies of documents are: Letter size-50 cents per page; Legal size-50 cents per page; Ledger size-50 cents per page
- Faxed, Emailed or Mailed out copies of documents are: $1.00 per page
- Certified Copies of documents are: $1.50 per page
Research of Property or Abstracting is not done by the Knox County Clerk or office personnel.